Disaster Service Worker and Disaster Operations Center (DOC) Training
The San Francisco Department of Emergency Management (DEM) is currently in the process of updating their Disaster Service Worker (DSW) required courses. Currently, the minimum requirements are as follows:
All DSWs must complete the following online courses every two years:
- Review the Disaster Service Worker Training Curriculum
- Watch the Disaster Service Worker Training Video
- Watch the Personal Preparedness Training video, a web-based personal preparedness training video on the American Red Cross website.
If you are a DSW with any of the following roles, please ensure that you also take the ICS-100 and IS-700 courses:
- Employees with a pre-defined disaster response role, i.e., Department Operation Center (DOC) assignment, Department Safety Officer, Floor Warden/Coordinator, all public safety and emergency response personnel.
- Supervisors responsible for field operations and/or all individuals with an assignment in an Incident Command Post (ICP), DOC or the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Personnel responsible to fill Command/Management or General Staff positions in an ICP, DOC or EOC.
- Managers and Directors with responsibilities for Public Safety, Emergency Response, Emergency Management, and Public Health services – for example: SFPD, SFFD, SFSD, DEM, DPH, DPW, PUC, etc.
These ICS-100 and IS-700 training are accessed through SF Learning. Directions for accessing SF Learning training are available below.
How to access ICS-100 and IS-700 in SF Learning:
- Click on: https://sfgov.org/sfc/employee-gateway and sign in to SF Employee Portal with your login information
- Click on My Links –> Work Links –> SF Learning
- Click on Learning Catalog
- Using the Search function on the top right, search for:
- DSW:IS-700: An Introduction to the National Management System
- DSW:IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System
- Launch course and follow screen prompts to an external link to finish the course.
- Once complete, follow prompts to mark yourself complete on the SF Employee portal link.
For personnel that may be assigned to ICP, DOC, or EOC, DEM recommends ICS-200 and IS-800. ICS-300 and 400 are also recommended if they will be a Unit Leader or above in terms of chain of command. Then there are additional Section specific courses as well.
- Intro to NIMS: IS-700 National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction (SF Learning). Prerequisites: None
- Intro to ICS: IS-100 Introduction to Incident Command System (SF Learning). Prerequisites: None
- IS-200.C: Basic Incident Command System for Initial Response (FEMA website, Interactive Web Based Course). Prerequisites: IS-100
- IS-800, Introduction to the National Response Framework (FEMA website, Interactive Web Based Course). Prerequisites: IS-700, Recommended
- ICS-300: Intermediate ICS for Expanding Incidents (E0300) (in-person classroom courses). Prerequisites: IS-100, ICS-200, IS-700, IS-800
- ICS-400: Advanced ICS (E0400) (in-person classroom courses), can be found in the National Preparedness Course Catalog at firstrespondingtraining.gov. Prerequisites: IS-100, ICS-200, ICS-300, IS-700, IS-800