All training requests must start with filling out the Staff Development Request Form (SDRF). The Staff Development Request Form tracks funding for staff development and training requests and supervisor approvals for mandatory, required, and elective conferences and training for both use of training funds and use of work time to attend staff development or training event. This procedure applies to all training requests.
Operations staff must also have approval by their Superintendent and Director of Operations for requests to attend elective (non-mandatory, non-required) training.
Requests that are submitted that do not follow this procedure may be returned as incomplete.
BEFORE registering for a class turn in required forms and documents to your supervisor for signature and approval. Supervisor will then send the forms to Accounts Payable via email to email@example.com. All expenses must be planned and preapproved according to Accounts Payable protocols. After receiving approval from Accounts Payable send all forms and documents to EHS via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best practice tips: fill out the forms early and submit them right away. EHS and Finance can help with any issues or questions, but this often takes a while so send them in early! We are here to help you through what can seem like a complicated, yet necessary, process.
- Include ALL required signatures and a clear indication of the funding source, such as Index Code, and all costs extended out into the proper payment columns in section 2.
2. An event flyer, webpage print-out of the event, or brochure, and a schedule or program of events that includes the cost of the training.
3. A completed Employee Expense Preapproval Form
- Include required signatures and a clear indication of the funding source, such as Index Code or PS Chart-Fields
- If requesting travel and accommodation reimbursement, comparisons of three (3) travel options and comparisons of three (3) area hotels are required. You can be reimbursed up to the GSA-approved rate. Any cost over the GSA rate must be pre-approved by the Controller’s office, https://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/26429.
- Note that San Francisco will not support states that discriminate against LGBT people, restrict the right to choose, or suppress voting rights. To voice our opposition, the City will not fund travel to or conduct business with certain states. Click here for details.
Wait for approval from Accounts Payable and EHS before registering and paying for the class.
When signing up for DHR workshops, please follow this process:
- Submit RPD’sStaff Development RequestForm with all required paperwork (event flyer and Employee Expense Preapproval Form) to Accounts Payable – email@example.com.
- Accounts Payable and EHSwillsend you a notification if the training is approved. If approved, go to the online DHR Workshop Enrollment Form to register for the class.
- Select the workshop you want to attend and fill in the information about yourself and your supervisor.
- If RPD is paying for the workshop, you will be taken to a second page and asked for the contact information of the person who will be authorizing the payment method.
- Person authorizing payment method: Jeffrey Bramlett
- Job Title: Environment, Health and Safety Division Manager
- E-Mail: Jeffrey.Bramlett@sfgov.org
- Phone: 415-831-2707
- Submit the form to DHR. Your supervisor and Jeffrey Bramlett will approve the request.
- DHR will notify you via email when you have been signed up for the workshop.
After training is complete:
• Employees should always keep records of training they complete proving completion as well as qualification to perform work assigned. Similarly, supervisors should always keep records of employees they supervise to prove completion and qualification to perform the work assigned.
If you were pre-approved for employee expenses and need to be reimbursed for registration, travel, and/or accommodations, email the following documents to Accounts Payable at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Your completed and approved Travel (and Training) Expense Form
- Include required signature and a clear indication of the funding source, such as Index Code or PS Chart-Fields.
- If applicable, include the license plate number, and make and model of your vehicle
- Your original approved employee Expense Preapproval Form
3. The original itemized receipt(s) – Copies not accepted.4. Proof of payment, i.e., a copy of your Credit Card or Bank Statement. Please black out unrelated transactions to protect your privacy.
5. Proof of completion of the course.